Vernon Hills Residents: Is Your Property Ready for Winter?
Cold weather is approaching, and it’s important to prepare your home or business for the winter months. Freezing temperatures can cause frozen pipes. Heavy rains with improper drainage can force water back into your home or business. Snow and ice sitting on top of full gutters can force water into your attic as the sun and temperature fluctuations cause the snow and ice to melt. Here are some proactive measures to prepare your home or business for the winter:
• Inspect your roof, gutters, and downspouts. It’s a good idea to check your roof after every storm or heavy rain event. If you haven’t done that yet, now is the time to inspect for any roof damage or potential hazards that can keep standing water on your roof. Avoid ice damming this winter by cleaning your gutters from leaves and other debris. Also, double check that your downspout is directed away from your building or home to avoid water being forced at your home or business.
• Walk your property to look for any obstacles that could cause personal injury such as fallen branches. While you are walking the exterior of your residence or business also check for proper drainage.
• Disconnect your garden hose and store away this winter to avoid freezing your hose bib (or sillcock). This will help avoid a flooded basement this coming spring when you go to use your hose for the first time.
• Install mats or non-slip surfaces to avoid slips this winter.
• If you own a home or business, let SERVPRO of Gurnee & SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/Lake Bluff set up your building with a no cost assessment called an Emergency Ready Profile. This provides your business with a plan to get back in operation should disaster occur.
When winter weather arrives, SERVPRO of Gurnee & SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/Lake Bluff wants you to be prepared. If the unexpected frozen pipe, ice damming, or water in your basement happens to your Vernon Hills home or business, call us 24/7 365 days a year at 847-557-1080.
Gurnee Residents: Fire Prevention
This year’s Fire Prevention Theme is “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 ways out!” The National Fire Protection Association encourages families with their children to:
- Make a map of their home and find two exits from each room.
- Make sure exits are not blocked
- Have a meeting spot in the front of the home to meet if home experiences a fire
- Practice a fire drill at least twice a year. They also suggest doing one drill during the day and one at night.
- Make sure to teach children how they can escape on their own in case someone can’t help.
- Close any windows or doors that you leave to try to slow smoke, fire, or heat.
- Make sure address is clearly visible from front of structure and everyone knows how to call the fire department for help
- Test smoke alarms once a month, and change batteries twice a year.
For great resources, and a grid to draw a map of your home go to National Fire Protection Association’s website here.
For tips on what to do after a fire or have any questions, call SERVPRO of Gurnee or SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff at 847-557-1080, 24/7 365 days.
Lake Forest Residents: Need to remove mold?
Water intrusion from a roof leak?
Water line leaking from refrigerator?
Water in basement?
If you have one of these problems, you may also have concerns about mold growing in your home from the water intrusion. Mold can have serious health effects and also cause serious damage to your home. Every mold situation is different, and can be handled many different ways. SERVPRO of Gurnee has the trained technicians, protective gear, and specialized equipment to handle your mold problem.
When you call SERVPRO, an experienced technician will carefully inspect your property with specialized technology used for detecting hidden water sources where mold would be able to grow. Mold feeds off water and cellulose and grows in these undetected environments.
Prior to beginning the mold removal, various containments will be set up to prevent the spread of the mold spores throughout your home and isolate the contaminated area. We do this with negative air pressure and with physical barriers. In addition, we place specialized air filtration equipment that will capture the microscopic mold spores that are floating in the air. These air scrubbers and HEPA vacuums prevent the spread of mold during the remediation process.
Depending on the amount of mold growth and the type of surfaces affected will determine how our technicians will approach the remediation job. Some surfaces may have to be removed and disposed of that are mold-infested. These are high-porous surfaces such as drywall and flooring. In addition, antifungal and antimicrobial treatments will be applied to help prevent new colonies from forming. Our SERVPRO of Gurnee technicians can also clean mold damaged contents. In addition, technicians are trained and able to remove odors and do deodorization using our fogging equipment.
Any other questions regarding mold or to schedule an appointment, call us at 847-557-1080.
Electronics that Experience Water Damage
With all the recent flooding from the severe storms, many homes and businesses have experienced water damage. We specialize in cleaning contents after water and fire damage. SERVPRO of Gurnee & SERVPRO Libertyville/ N. Chicago City. Lake Bluff always tries to restore verse replace to help keep insurance costs down and salvage sentimental items. So how do we assess electronics that have been exposed to water? Our first step is to determine how the electronics have been exposed to water.
Has the item been completely submerged?
When we find an electronic that has been completely underwater, these items may not be restorable because of circuit failure, the motor shorting out, corrosion and heavy rust. Our content cleaning technician looks for these signs and also notes what category of water the electronic sat in, the length of time, how much of the electronic was exposed, and other observations are made with each individual electronic brought in. In our pre-testing if a submerged item is considered un-restorable, our team removes the item from site and carefully inventories the item for homeowner/ business owner for insurance purposes.
Did water drip on the electronic?
We don’t assess the electronic just by the external appearance, but we are certain to do a thorough inspection, and we determine if we can clean and dry out the electronic. If water drips on an electronic, we open it up and inspect if the water has affected the internal components. Before making the final decision that the item was able to be saved, we do a final test to be certain of proper preloss functioning.
Has the electronic been exposed to high humidity only?
After a home or business experiences any water damage, the humidity in the environment increases. High humidity with electronics exposed for any amount of time is a cause for concern. Over time, electronics naturally attract particles from the air and dust. When an electronic is exposed to humidity, the dust on the electronic can act as a sponge for moisture particles and pull in the moisture internally. The electronics may initially work, but over time may see that corrosion and rust set in without an inspection. Electronics exposed to high humidity also have to be opened up, inspected, cleaned, dried, and undergo final testing before determining that the item will function.
Each content that we receive is looked at individually if the item can be cleaned and restored. SERVPRO of Gurnee & SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff restores several different contents including electronics after a fire or water damage in a residential or commercial loss. Each loss is unique and different, and affects the structure and contents differently depending on the type of loss, length of time, and category of water.
After a Fire Tips
Cleanup after a fire or smoke damage is a job for an IICRC Certified firm. Sometimes cleaning up after a fire without the proper method can cause further damage. Depending on the source of fire determines how SERVPRO of Gurnee & SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/Lake Bluff will go about cleaning up after a fire. Here are some tips that can help minimize the damage after a fire until a crew arrives:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from spreading
- Do not send any clothing to a local dry cleaner because improper cleaning may set in odor
- Do not shampoo carpets, upholstery, or furniture
- Do not attempt to clean electronics or electrical equipment
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet
- Coat chrome faucets, trim or appliances with petroleum jelly or oil
Call us 24/7 and 365 days for help. We are always happy to help get you back into your home or business quickly.
Cleaning Biological Matter
Did you know that SERVPRO of Gurnee & SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff cleans up after purposeful or accidental death in buildings and vehicles? Blood cleanup and decontamination should be left to professionals that carry a biohazard and crime scene cleanup certification. We have certified and trained technicians that are available to help cleanup, remove contaminated items, and deodorize. We know and understand that losing a loved one is hard, and our team is empathetic and ready to help answer any questions that you may have about the process. Our technicians are properly trained and equipped with proper protective devices, perform on site deodorization, and remove or clean contents. Upon job completion, a technician will test with our biological material tester to rest assured that the cleanup has been sanitized to SERVPRO and industry standards free of bio contamination.
All the recent severe rains and unexpected flooding in Gurnee, Grayslake, Libertyville, Lake Bluff, Lake Forest, Round Lake and Mundelein experience on July 12th, 2017 brought our SERVPRO of Gurnee & SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff several calls, questions, and comments. One topic we found ourselves explaining frequently was water types.
When you home or business experiences water damage, there are different categories of water that we have to clean up with different levels of contamination.
- Clean Water is that water that comes from a broken pipe, sink or tub overflow, or appliance malfunctions from a water line.
- Gray Water is slightly contaminated water and can come from a dishwasher or clothes washer discharge.
- Black Water is very contaminated and comes from sewage damage, aquarium leak, toilet overflow, flooding, or natural disaster. This water is filled with fungi, bacteria, chemicals, and more.
All types of water, left untreated, will allow bacteria, contaminates, fungi, bacteria, and microbial growth to occur. Having a SERVPRO technician come out to your home to provide an inspection will show you where you have water, what water type is in your home, and the proper industry guidelines for cleaning your home to an industry standard.
SERVPRO Community Service: Contingency Planning for Businesses
50% of all businesses that experience a disaster do not reopen. Of the 50% that do reopen 70% of them have a plan in place. Many businesses have a plan on how to get out of the building in a fire or how to help someone who is injured, but not many businesses have a plan on protecting the merchandise or how to get back in operation should a disaster occur. Let SERVPRO of Gurnee and SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff set your business up with a contingency plan! SERVPRO will go out to your business, at no charge, and create a profile locating all your important utilities and shutoffs with directions and photographs. Why do we do this for free? Disasters happen, and SERVPRO believes in businesses being prepared to help minimize the amount of work that needs to be done, and be certain the business and employees can return to operation as quickly as possible.
The SERVPRO® Ready Plan comes accessible as an App and is an emergency preparedness tool for home and business owners, property managers, risk managers and facility management. It allows for the creation of an Emergency Ready Profile containing critical facility information to help speed up response time. In addition, the profile has a space for all significant contacts that your business may need to contact in an emergency, such as: plumber, elevator repair, electric company, sprinkler company, etc. Each profile is tailored to each business needs, and can be as detailed as you want. Multiple properties are all linked together in one profile sign in for quick access. In return you will receive a secure sign on for electronic access online and through the app with editing capabilities, Emergency Ready Profile Folder to keep in your office, electronic damage log reports, and peace of mind knowing that you have a plan in case disaster occurs.
Want to learn more or schedule an appointment? Contact Ariel Flary at 847-557-1080 or aflary@SERVPROlibertyville.com.
Are your Air Ducts Clean?
Did you know that your ventilation system determines your indoor air quality? Dirty ducts can circulate contaminates such as mold or irritating dust as well as unwanted odors throughout your home or business. SERVPRO of Gurnee and SERVPRO of Libertyville/ N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff is a professional service that will inspect and clean your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning unit (HVAC). How does our SERVPRO Duct Cleaning System work?
- First, our patented equipment automatically adapts to the duct’s shape and diameter while traveling through the duct, removing debris and filth prior to beginning vacuuming.
- Next, is a powerful push-pull air delivery and collection system that will transfer the debris from the duct to a 16-gallon container.
- Air is filtered through a HEPA filtration system, removing 99.97 percent of the particles in the airstream. These HEPA filters capture debris and keep the indoor environment clean.
- Part of an optional process, a sealant or coating may be sprayed to address odor or microbial concerns.
- In addition, filters will need to be cleaned or replaced to remove odor and dirt.
For more information or to schedule a residential or commercial duct cleaning appointment, contact us at 847-557-1080.
Lightning Facts and Tips
SERVPRO of Gurnee and SERVPRO of Libertyville/ N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff will board up your home or business, clean contents, clean structure, and rebuild if your building is struck by lightning and incurs fire damage. The odds of being struck by lightning is 1 in 500,000 and is the leading cause of weather-related fatalities. Here are some tips and facts about lightning from the CDC:
- Check the forecast before planning outdoor activities. If the weather is calling for outdoor thunderstorms, postpone your trip or activity, or make sure there is adequate shelter available.
- “When thunder roars, go indoors.” Go indoors or find a safe enclosed shelter when you hear thunder. Some ideas of safe shelters are offices, homes, shopping centers, or hard-top vehicles (with the windows rolled up).
- Avoid windows, doors, porches, and concrete. Do not lie on concrete floors and avoid leaning against concrete walls. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
- Avoid water during a thunderstorm by not bathing, showering, washing dishes, or any other contact with water because lightning can travel through a building’s plumbing.
- Avoid electronic equipment that is connected to an electrical outlet. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls.
- Make sure to equip homes and businesses with surge protectors to protect appliances and other electronic devices.
- If you are outdoors and there is not shelter, do not lie down. Instead, crouch close to the ground touching the ground as little as possible. If you are in a group, make sure to separate.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 –847-557-1080