Lightning Facts and Tips
SERVPRO of Gurnee and SERVPRO of Libertyville/ N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff will board up your home or business, clean contents, clean structure, and rebuild if your building is struck by lightning and incurs fire damage. The odds of being struck by lightning is 1 in 500,000 and is the leading cause of weather-related fatalities. Here are some tips and facts about lightning from the CDC:
- Check the forecast before planning outdoor activities. If the weather is calling for outdoor thunderstorms, postpone your trip or activity, or make sure there is adequate shelter available.
- “When thunder roars, go indoors.” Go indoors or find a safe enclosed shelter when you hear thunder. Some ideas of safe shelters are offices, homes, shopping centers, or hard-top vehicles (with the windows rolled up).
- Avoid windows, doors, porches, and concrete. Do not lie on concrete floors and avoid leaning against concrete walls. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
- Avoid water during a thunderstorm by not bathing, showering, washing dishes, or any other contact with water because lightning can travel through a building’s plumbing.
- Avoid electronic equipment that is connected to an electrical outlet. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls.
- Make sure to equip homes and businesses with surge protectors to protect appliances and other electronic devices.
- If you are outdoors and there is not shelter, do not lie down. Instead, crouch close to the ground touching the ground as little as possible. If you are in a group, make sure to separate.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 –847-557-1080