Fire Restoration 101: Types of Soot
There are three different types of soot: wet, dry, and protein. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Gurnee will test the soot to determine which type of damage occurred. The cleaning procedure we use will then be based on the information identified during pretesting.
Wet Soot - Plastic and Rubber
- Low Heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Creates smoke webs that are more difficult to clean.
- Example: plastics, synthetics, household fires
Dry Soot - Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
- Example: organic materials, wildfires
Protein Soot - Food products
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
- Example: grease or food, kitchen fires
A fire is one of the most devastating events a home or business owner can encounter. Each smoke and fire damage situation is different, and each requires a unique solution for the specific situation. SERVPRO of Gurnee has the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore fire and smoke damage. It is our number one priority to treat your family with respect and your property with care.
Call SERVPRO of Gurnee today at 847-838-2954 for a free inspection to assess your unique situation.